Thanks for visiting my site

"Thanks for visiting my site. Finally I have my moment of fame! I've been stuck in this little town for so long, just waiting for someone to notice me, and here you are. Check in with me regularly to see what I've been up to, I promise to keep you hootin' and a hollerin' for more. I'm just a small town girl with a big dream of one day being somebody! And wait until you meet "the girls." There's Tootsie, Mertle, Glenda and so many others I won't mention right now, but don't you listen to a word they say about me, unless it's good. They have all been known to gossip, but you didn't hear that from me. Now that I've learned how to work this new fangled blog thing, you are going to be hearing a lot from me. Finally I have a voice and I'm going to use it. I hope you enjoy reading about my life. Well, I'm not going to tell you anymore, you are just going to have to read all about me and my fabulous life!" Josey



Friday, July 1, 2011

Just a Touch of Sweetness - Episode 21

Mandy shuddered. She’d been the object of too many welcoming committees. Too many towns and cities had given them the right hand of welcome and the left foot of fellowship. All she could think of was a group of nosey women strolling up to her front door, inspecting every flower and weed in the yard, and checking to see if the windows had been washed.

She had never grown past the feeling of being violated. It was worse now, since she had the kids. Mandy figured it must be her motherly instinct that caused her hair to stand on end. When that horde of women would surround her kids, cooing and clucking over them, it took everything she had not to slap their gnarly fingers from her children’s sweet cheeks.

“Honey, you doing okay?” asked Josey. She noticed that Mandy had gotten real quiet.

“Now don’t let that Tootsie scare you. She’s got a heart as big as the moon and she means well. If Tootsie takes a liking to you, you’ve got a friend for life, believe me.”

“Oh, that’s okay,” said Mandy, as she relaxed under Josey’s soothing hands. “It’s just a little overwhelming. What with unpacking, two kids, a new church, and being so far away from my family, you know.”

“Well, I can’t say as I do know, because this town is all I’ve ever known,” said Josey, as she dried Mandy’s hair. “And kids…well if the good Lord has a plan for me, then He better jack some guy in the head, because I’m not getting any younger. Not to mention, if my eggs sit any longer, they’ll be hardboiled,” Josey said with a laugh. “But my, my, I do love children. Always wanted a whole yard full of them. Now though, it seems like I’ll have to settle for just a pair.”

Mandy watched as Josey whipped the blow dryer out and began methodically drying her hair, section by section. The warm air soothed her and she closed her eyes. It was so seldom Matt had time to watch the kids for her that she was determined to enjoy every moment of the pampering. Besides, with her eyes closed, hopefully it was a signal to Josey that she was finished talking. She had enough to digest with just Tootsie and Josey. If they were any prelude to what awaited her, then Lord help her to get through meeting the entire congregation.

Josey had enough experience doing women’s hair to know when a woman just wanted to relax, so she used the time to study Mandy. She found herself envious of the young woman, and for Josey, that was unusual. There was something about this one that seemed to be bursting with sweetness . . . a goodness that was not seen too much in Carington.
  
Maybe it was the monotonous lives, the sameness, the going nowhere for so many people in town, the only way they had to bring drama into their lives was to create it. Constant sniping, griping and backbiting was a way of life, and they had all grown accustomed to it. Without it, what in the world was there to talk about? thought Josey.

She pulled her brush through the silky strands and gave the ends a little flip. The hair just rippled through her fingers. Josey had forgotten what it felt like to handle such pretty hair. She undid the towel around Mandy’s neck and spun her around to look at her handi-work. Mandy shook her head and the honey waterfall floated around her shoulders and down her back. Her cheeks were flushed from the blow dryer, giving her an unusually healthy glow. She smiled at Josey in the mirror.

Josey once more ran her fingers through the shiny locks. “Now, don’t you look pretty. You just keep your head up high and don’t let the folks in this town get you down. If you believe the Lord sent you here for a purpose, then you and your husband hold on to that. Give Him time to work on some hearts and everything will be all right.”

“Thank you Josey, that is so sweet,” said Mandy, as she fairly bounced out of the chair. “How did you know I needed to hear that?” she asked with a little laugh. “And I am going to take your advice. It was so nice meeting you, and I will be back, you can bet on that. Now if I can talk Matt into babysitting for me more often, I may even get extravagant and take time for a manicure and pedicure. Can you tell me where I can get some stamps and the best place for groceries?”

“Well you’re talking to the right person about stamps,” laughed Josey. “They call me the sweepstaking queen around here. The post office is right down the street on your right and the Piggly Wiggly is where you want to go for groceries. Make sure you shop on Wednesday mornings though, because that’s when all the sales start. If you’re not there at the crack of dawn, Mertis Taylor and Glenda Jackson will clean off those shelves.”

Tilting her head Mandy asked, “What do you mean sweepstaking?”

“Never mind honey, that’s for another day. Call me anytime for an appointment.”
She watched as Mandy gently opened the door, poked her head out and looked back.

“Go on girl, you go get em,” Josey said, as she flicked her wrist, her thumbs pointed upright, in a sign of victory.
Stay tuned for the next episode!


No comments: