Thanks for visiting my site

"Thanks for visiting my site. Finally I have my moment of fame! I've been stuck in this little town for so long, just waiting for someone to notice me, and here you are. Check in with me regularly to see what I've been up to, I promise to keep you hootin' and a hollerin' for more. I'm just a small town girl with a big dream of one day being somebody! And wait until you meet "the girls." There's Tootsie, Mertle, Glenda and so many others I won't mention right now, but don't you listen to a word they say about me, unless it's good. They have all been known to gossip, but you didn't hear that from me. Now that I've learned how to work this new fangled blog thing, you are going to be hearing a lot from me. Finally I have a voice and I'm going to use it. I hope you enjoy reading about my life. Well, I'm not going to tell you anymore, you are just going to have to read all about me and my fabulous life!" Josey



Monday, May 16, 2011

Mantra Meddling - Episode 14

Josey lifted her voice over the hot water as she washed Karen’s hair.

“Well, they do seem to come more frequently after I have had a nice gin and tonic. To relax me, you know. A body can’t receive from the Lord when they are all tangled up in everyday problems, so I like to take the edge off. You can sort of call it communion. I pour a drink, a small one mind you, then I light my candles, put on some soft music and start my mantra.”

“Mantra,” said Karen, as her eyes jerked open.

“What are you talking about? You mean you sing a hymn?” She could just picture Josey waltzing around her mobile home in some lacey get up, her arms outstretched to the heavens and a cigarette dangling out of her mouth.

“You’re not getting into that devil worship stuff are you? That New Age propaganda is going to be the downfall of our society.”

“No,” said Josey, defensively. “I have some favorite words I say over and over again to get the rhythm going. It’s like stirring the pot, getting in the right mood to receive. It kind of goes like this, ‘Hmmmmmmmmmmm, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Lord come to me, come to me, come to me.’ Only you keep saying it real fast, over and over again. Then bingo, He comes. That’s how I get my instructions to give to the ladies at the prayer meetings. Most of those women don’t know the first thing about being spiritual. Why, I believe half of them don’t even pray over their meals. Every night I set up my TV tray, turn on Jeopardy, and then pray to the Lord. That’s why I’m hoping I can teach those ladies something.”

Karen made a mental note to talk to Larry about Josey’s dabbling in the occult.

“Oh,” said Josey, “before I forget, I wanted to tell you how much I loved your peach cobbler. Now you have got to give me the recipe. I have never tasted sweeter peaches or a crisper crust. I swear, it was light as air.” Under the din of the television she continued, “But back to Tootsie. I think she’s just a little bit jealous of you.”

“Jealous of me! Why?” questioned Karen, as she glanced at Tootsie’s lulling head.

“Well, truth be told, she has told me time and time again how much she loves the color of your hair. Says she’d give up Snicker bars, if she could get the same look.”

 Josey was smooshing Karen, but she considered it part of the business, a moral obligation, to make everyone feel special.

Rising up inside, Karen smirked. “Go on, I don’t believe it. She said that? About my hair? I have noticed her looking it over every time we meet, but I thought she was making fun of it, being so red you know. She really likes it? Wishes she could have the same color? Now, don’t you go giving the formula for my color to anyone, you hear.”

“Oh you can trust me on that,” said Josey, as she silently laughed. “What do you want done today? How about you let me try that Jackie Kennedy flip on you?”

“No,” said Karen, a little too hastily. “My normal shampoo and blow dry will be fine. I don’t have much time today. I still have to get some things for that hurricane out there and start getting prepared for the fall festival. Which reminds me, what are you bringing? And don’t tell me we are going to be gifted with your collard and cornbread casserole again.” Mentally raising a finger to her nose, she remembered the terrible smell of the gooey mess.

Stay tuned for the next episode!

No comments: